Bad lessons call for reflection to figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. It doesn’t help wallowing in fail mode. So, by the time I got out of the building I was already figuring out what was wrong with my lesson.
I had prepared, delivered etc etc, all pretty similar to last year’s method but slightly improved. FYI I’ve been developing my own debate style/method since 2007. Yet, things didn’t work.
1)Students peaking L1
2)Students joking and messing about
3)Students not doing the PW/GW tasks properly
4)Students not talking enough when called upon for a group debate
I grabbed some students at the end to tell them off but turned it into a Q&A to find out why they were how they were. My findings were that they were just doing what they did last year i.e. speak the L1 and behave like they were.
This means that no matter what I had done they’d have been like that. It wasn’t my lesson but the past teacher’s ‘training’ that was the issue.
I think I need to start off the next classes with a ‘talk’ about what I expect, what they need to do and also to find out what they are interested in and work from there. I tried that last year but got nothing back but maybe these students are different, maybe.